Friday 20 May 2016

Tempura / cooking anyhow





I am not really proud with the outcome, chefs may get mad at me.  Just cooking anyhow, enough to satisfy our cravings for our favourite Tempura tendon.  Not as crispy as served in the Japanese restaurant...not as presentable as it should be... tastes Tempura though and my youngest was happy.  

Needs credit for taking time to remove the head and the shell of  the shrimps and the meticulously deveining.  Further, peeling off the very hard pumpkin and I sliced anyhow.

We just bought tempura mix at the NTUC, added cold water, egg yolk and added some ice. The flour in the batter must develop little gluten as possible to result to a light and crispy tempura.  Iced cold water develops gluten slower.  I used canola oil and a little olive oil for frying. the prawns . I tried not to crowd the pot so the temperature will not drop quickly

You would notice half of the tempura were a bit dark.  Why???  I should have removed the excess crumbs that got burned and made my oil darker. My batter got warmed and forgot to put more ice, the batter got a bit thick.  

I should remember next time not to over mix  the batter, better to have some lumps.  Prawns must be towel dried before coating for a better output.  Apparently, needs more improvement. 

Tempura Tendon sauce:

3 tbsps mirin
3 tbsps soy sauce
1 tbsp brown sugar
half cup of shrimp stock (i don't have dashi stock)

boil the mirin to get rid off the alcohol smell, add the soy sauce, followed by the shrimp stock.  let it boil then add the sugar.  Stir for a minute or two.

Optional:  Cook egg with chopped onions

In a bowl of rice, place the egg omelette over the rice, add the tempura and drizzle with the sauce. The next time I prepare this dish,  I would make sure it would look appetizing (even in the photo only).  I'll add green veggies such as lady fingers, brinjals and asparagus.
















More Recipes

Chicken Macaroni Salad
Cooking anyhow
Sipo Eggs

Chili Prawns w Oregano


Check out the places we had visited in Asia


Japan trip 2014


Hong Kong



See also:
Family cycling

Minion Mart at
Universal Studios Singapore

Universal Studios Singapore




Hello Kitty Cafe
Singapore



2016 River Hongbao 


The making of Harry Potter

Sound of Music
Movie Locations

Visit to Vienna,Austria

Family World Travels

No comments:

Post a Comment